Robert Pollard and Robert Dodd after Edward Dayes
20.5 x 16 inches
To the LADIES and GENTLEMN INHABITANT, THIS VIEW OF QUEEN SQUARE Is with the greatest respect inscribed by their obedient & obliged Servant Robt. Pollard. A hand coloured aquatint engraved by Robert Pollard with additional aquatinting by Robert Dodd taken from the painting by Edward Dayes and published in London in 1789.
Queen Square was originally built between 1708 and 1720 and named after Queen Anne. It continued to be a very fashionable place to live right throughout the eighteenth century and only lost its appeal in the early nineteenth century. Dr. Charles Burney and his daughter Fanny lived in the square in the early 1770's when it was still open to the north with views of Hampstead and Highgate. None of the original buildings survives and today the square is dominated by buildings belonging to the medical profession.