J.C. STADLER after David LAING
A SOUTH VIEW OF THE NEW CUSTOM HOUSE. Reduced from a Drawing by D. Laing, Esq.r, the Architect.
A hand coloured aquatint engraved by Stadler after the painting by Gendall
and published in London by Rudolph Ackermann in 1818.
David Laing (1774 - 1856) completed the New Custom House in 1817, publishing a book about the problems he had had with the foundations the following year. Subsidence caused the building to collapse in 1825, causing the ruin of Laing's business.