Charles Turner after Sir Joshua Reynolds
The Duke of Marlborough at Blenheim Palace
30 x 36 inches
A large, mezzotint group-portrait of the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough and their children, engraved by Charles Turner after Reynolds and published in London in 1815.
George, the 4th Duke of Marlborough, sits at the left of the composition resting his hand on the shoulder of his eldest son, George, Marquis of Blandford. Caroline, Duchess of Marlborough, stands in the centre of the group. The three small children in the foreground are (from left): Lady Charlotte, Lord Henry and Lady Anne. The older girls are Lady Elizabeth and (extreme right) Lady Caroline. The statue represents the 1st Duke holding a winged figure of Victory. The original painting was commissioned in 1777 and notes in Reynolds' pocket book suggest that, although most of the work was undoubtedly carried out at either Marlborough House or in his studio in London, he did also make visits to Blenheim Palace.