Charles Turner after Sir Joshua Reynolds
The Duke of Marlborough at Blenheim Palace
30 x 36 inches
George, the 4th Duke of Marlborough, sits at the left of the composition resting his hand on the shoulder of his eldest son, George, Marquis of Blandford. Caroline, Duchess of Marlborough, stands in the centre of the group. The three small children in the foreground are (from left): Lady Charlotte, Lord Henry and Lady Anne. The older girls are Lady Elizabeth and (extreme right) Lady Caroline. The statue represents the 1st Duke holding a winged figure of Victory. The original painting was commissioned in 1777 and notes in Reynolds' pocket book suggest that, although most of the work was undoubtedly carried out at either Marlborough House or in his studio in London, he did also make visits to Blenheim Palace.
Charles Turner was born in Oxford in 1773 but moved to London where he became a pupil at the schools of the Royal Academy. His earliest datable plate was a print of John Kirby that was published in 1796. He went on to produce over 900 plates including over 600 portraits. He was, without doubt, one of the most eminent and prolific mezzotint engravers of his day with subjects ranging from portraiture through to military, marine and sporting. He is known to be a good businessman and published many of his prints himself from an address at 50, Warren Street, Fitzroy Square. From 1812 onwards he became mezzotint engraver to the King and in 1828 he was elected Associate Engraver of the Royal Academy. He died in 1857.£2600